Monday, August 23, 2010

I'm a little dissapointed in Roger Ebert

Now, I don't expect Roger Ebert to go and review every movie that is out there. Three movies came out last week, Expendables, Eat Pray Love, and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. He chose to see Eat Pray Love, and seemed to dislike it, which I take a bit of pleasure in but all the same, I am honestly disappointed that he didn't go see Scott Pilgrim vs The World, and I'll tell you why, because I have a blog and a surprising amount of free time.

I certainly wouldn't expect Ebert to go see the Expendables. We've all seen the expendables hundreds of times.. in a manner of speaking. It's just another mindless action movie. If you want that, you hardly need Roger Ebert or any other critic to tell you that. And clearly nobody did, as it won the box office handily. Certainly, based on box office, a lot of people held no inclination to see Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Roger Ebert is no different from a majority of people in North America in that regard.

Why didn't he go see it? I wonder. Could it be he's bored of Michael Cera? Perhaps, but I don't feel that is the case. Maybe he doesn't think much of Edgar Wright. Certainly Ebert never reviewed Hot Fuzz either. Who knows. I don't. However, the man found the time to review both Twilight and Twilight:New Moon, so.. I am thoroughly confused.

I personally believe it is because of the fact that Scott Pilgrim vs The World has a heavy video game influence, and Mr. Ebert is terrified of the mere thought of enjoying anything that would make it seem his thumbs could get anywhere close to a NES gamepad or even a movie heavily inspired by one. He wants to sweep his anti-video game ranting under the rug and does not want to bring it up again, even at the expense of missing out on something unique.

I think, however, the man has a duty to see this movie no matter how much he might think he will hate it beforehand. I think this BECAUSE of what he said all summer about video games. Who cares if he's not part of the generation that this movie is for. Lots of people enjoyed it even though they're not part of that demographic, because it is a fairly original movie with very creative direction. But thats my opinion. If Ebert thinks he will hate it, then he has to see this movie as penance for his brouhaha against videogames.

No comments: