Saturday, August 25, 2012

One small step

The first thing I thought of when I heard Neil Armstrong had passed away today was Ice Cream.

Not because it was hot today - though it was.  I thought of Ice Cream because the first place I learned about Neil Armstrong was from Dickie Dee popsicle sticks.

Back in the day, Dickie Dee was the main distributer of ice cream in Winnipeg, and their popsicles and ice cream had little bits of educational trivia on them.  One of the most common was the question "Who was the first astronaut on the moon".. with the answer of course being Neil Armstrong.

Perhaps it was usually found on the rocket shaped popsicle.  I can't remember now.  It would make sense if it was though, what with the rocket shaped popsicle housing space trivia.  There was a tot lot near where I grew up where you'd inevitably see a used popsicle stick in the sandbox with the aforementioned trivia on it.

Dickie Dee sold out to unilever a long while back.  To be part of the Good Humor/Breyers brand.  I haven't seen any trivia on popsicle sticks in years.  It's a shame.  How much extra would it cost to make popsicle sticks with little questions on the sticks?  It's all so cold and impersonal nowadays.

Alas I couldn't find an image, but I made a reasonable recreation based off of memory.


So, in honour of Neil Armstrong, I had a Rocket Popsicle. 

"To the moon!"


Although to be fair they looked more like the latter photo.

It's kind of  timely that Mr Armstrong passed away just after the Mars Curiosity landing.  While it wasn't and couldn't be the same as landing a man on the moon,   it was perhaps the closest thing this generation is going to see to compare to that.  And a lot of people watched it online or whatever way they could.